Sunday, September 18, 2011

Chuseok Holiday

As I already mentioned, Chuseok is like Korean Thanksgiving and it happens on the same day as Chinese Mid-Autumn festival.  Pretty much families just gather together and have a huge meal.  I heard that many women hate Chuseok because they're put under a lot of pressure to make a delicious meal.

Because we don't really have Korean families here, we decided to learn more about Korean culture on such an important day.

1. Palace.

This palace was called Deoksugung, it's right by City Hall station.


Claudia made me do it! lol 
Chuseok special performances.

So many people were there!


Cool trees so we took a picture there =P.

How can we not take a picture with a fountain? LOL 


2. National Museum of Korea.

This was right outside of the museum.  I really wanted to go inside, reminds me of old Chinese palaces in olden day Chinese shows  heh heh.

To prove that we were here =P.

Traditional crown. 

Taking a picture after our tour.

3. Food

Because it was Chuseok so everything was closed so that people could have dinner with their families.  We didn't have a Korean family to go to so we resorted to cup ramyun. lol a little bit sad but it was very good =D




4. Claudia's birthday fell right in the middle of Chuseok holiday.
What kind of friend would I be if I didn't take her to eat Popeyes? I'm pretty sure she had Popeyes for her last bday too =P. 

5. Zoo.

Taking the tram to go to the zoo.

My favourite picture, I will post more on facebook.

Everybody at the zoo for Claudia's bday =).  Do you like her Panda mask?

6. More food =P.

We couldn't find a bbq place so we settle for Dakgalbi again.  It looks ever better this time, I think it was because we were all starving.

Obviously adding rice at the end.  It seems like you won't be full if you don't add in some rice.  How can I go back to Joons in Canada after eating at "Yooganhye" in Korea? There's many locations, we went to the one in Gangnam but there's like at least 2 in Myeongdong.

7. Booze.

Claudia proving that she can handle her alcohol.

Angus.  Stefan's determined to make this OUR bar so that everybody who works there will know all of us by the end of this year =P.

8. Karaoke
Finally ending her bday away from home with Noraebang.  Hope you enjoyed your birthday!



9. Amusement Park

The last day of my Chuseok break, my coteachers invited me to Seoul Land.  If you're really into roller coasters, this might not be the place for you.  I love roller coasters so I was a bit bored.  It's a location better for families with younger children.  Although the rides weren't my favourite, I was able to meet my co-teachers' children so I felt like I bonded with them more and felt more like we were a family.

This was probably the only ride that was decent.  My co-teachers were too scared to ride it with me so her 7 year old daughter had to.  She was so brave!  She pretty much thought every ride was boring and didn't really smile until she got off this ride =P.

                                     
The same ride that you see that the Ex that spins really fast and makes you squish the person sitting at the end.

The difference? When you go backwards, they put this cloth over you, "It's kiss time!" LOL..I'm not even lying! 



First time spending Mid-Autumn Festival away from home.  Feels nice to be with people who feel like family during times like these.  Makes us miss home a little less.

xoxo



No comments:

Post a Comment