Sunday, September 4, 2011

Work Hard, Play Hard

All week I have been doing my introductory Powerpoint and making name tags with the students.  It's pretty simple, and it's not really teaching, but because I've done it with 13 classes for far, I want to shoot myself.  I mean really, how many times can you tell people that your favourite colour is pink?  The worse part? I have to continue doing it until Tuesday.  At least I get to interact with the students, which I love, and it is a pretty good way to ease into the actual teaching part, sooo I guess no complaints there.

Other than teaching, I've been bonding quite a bit with my co-teachers. I mean I already said they were awesome but they really pay attention to little details.  My main co-teacher came up to me and told me that she knows I have pens and stuff, but gave me more anyway.

I like how she gave me 3 different coloured pens =P.



We also get random snacks after the students go home.  Sometimes a co-teacher treats us, sometimes other teachers treat us.

A little bit of home.

Not so much like home: shrimp on my pizza? hmmmm....



One of our VPs left so a new VP came and apparently it's tradition for the new VP to offer some kind of treat to the teachers.  The old school is supposed to gather money for the VP to take to the new school.

This is what we got.  It's rice cakes and red bean and peas.  It was sweet and..not so sweet? lol..they really like it...I had a few bites =)



It's just the first week of classes but it still felt long and tiring.  When Friday came aong, I was ready to pass out.  Buuuut..I mean who really wants to be home on a Friday so we decided to go out.  I haven't been to a club yet, but I'd like to check one out just to see how it is.  I was way too tired this week, so maybe next week? If you know me at all, you know that I'm not really into the clubbing scene,  I am much more the type to grab a few friends to talk, chill and grab a few drinks.  This weekend, we did just that.  I already ate at home, but Claudia, John and Stefan didn't eat yet..sooooo I had to watch them.

We went to Sincheon again, this is where we had Shabu Shabu last time.  We quite like the area.

Restaurant with cool fan/vents things that hover over your food, it looks cool.

 
 I was too full to eat this but they let me try a piece though.  Soooo goood! How can you get sick of this?

 *Droools*


After eating we decided we had to go grab some drinks.  We ended up going to place that was like a Western bar, it was dark and quiet. We just grabbed one drink and went somewhere else.

Midori Sour, I've never had it before but it was really.



So the next place we went to was a typical Korean drinking place where you had to order a side dish.  We got Yogurt Soju, a bottle and a side.

Are we dorks? We all agreed and fruits and we were soooo excited to see this. 



After drinking we were totally craving some street food. Obviously John did the ordering.  The Korean Ahjummas at the stands all love him lol.

Ddukbokki.

I forget the name of this one.  Help? John asked them to add Ddukbokki sauce on it.  Sooo good!

Fish cakes =).



It was an amazing night.  The next day, we decided to go to Dongdaemun.  I heard there was a lot of shopping there, so why not check it out?

Gates were up, I wish we could walk in..there's another name for this, help?

There wasn't too much to see until we spotted this river/stream thing.

Hahaha, in both pictures, you can't see Nick's head, I don't think that guy liked him much =P.

As we walked further down, we spotted this traditional, yet modern fashion show. It was quite random and out of nowhere actually.  The outfits were beautiful though.

The river/stream at night, it's a lot nicer =).  Ace, actually took a nicer one last year. Grr..

Then, we went shopping for a bit.

 Claudia and I love Korean food, but breakfast, lunch and dinner?  I think we need more adjusting. We started to crave Japanese food, it was impossible to find, but we lucked out =).

In food courts, we have to get our own waters.  Thought those of you in Canada might find this amusing =). They wash the cups and then put it in this UV box thing to sterilize.  It's kind pretty cool actually.

What's a long day without a delicious crap? =).



After a long day on Saturday, Claudia and I thought that we should take a break and enjoy our time in Korea.

We grabbed lunch, this was something different, and really good.  Al Dolsot Bibimbap, there were fish roes in there and I don't know, it was just sweeter and exactly what we needed.

 We went to Zoo Coffee just outside my place and read for a bit.  It felt nice to just relax and grab a coffee. Plus, the place was filled with zoo animals and our cool zebra-printed cups =).

 Back to MyeongDong since we love it so much =P.

 A Dakgalbi restauran.  It's like Joons by Yonge and Sheppard back home, but better ;).

 Four portions, we added ramyun, and cheese =P.  At the end, they added rice too.  It was soo good!

 Get your own side dishes!

Our lesson plan presentation group reunited =).  They also gave us these bib things so we won't get sauce spattered all over us.  Good for Casey and Ace since you guys always get your white clothes covered in red sauce.

 Sorry, we had to =P.

 Again, I'm sorry.



So far, Korea has been a lot of fun.  Even though I know after two months or so, everything won't be as new and exciting, but it really feels like you can't get bored of this place.  The only thing that kind of sucks is when you find out depressing news about people back home a week late.  It makes me feel a little disconnected =(.  I miss you guys, take care of yourselves and come visit ASAP!

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment