Saturday, September 10, 2011

Embracing Korea

I'm not really a sports girl but I really enjoy watching sports with my brother, boyfriend and my friends. To be honest though, I don't really know all the rules to the sports we watch.  I just enjoy their company and the excitement I get from watching a cool dunk, crazy tackle or a nice goal.  Baseball is one of those sports that I don't really watch alone or with people.  I don't mind playing it, but watching it seems really boring to me.  I know that baseball is really big in Korea so when Stephen asked if I'd go to a game, I said sure.

Before we met up with Stephen, Claudia and I went to Issac Toast for lunch.  We have heard good things about this place, and it's right by us.

We just call him Issac now because he works there and he makes sandwich-making such an art.  I love watching him put butter and sauces on our toast.  He's so delicate and makes it seem like he really cares about our food.

 Our Bulgogi MVPs.  You get an egg and this bulgogi patty thing lol.  It comes with shredded cabbage, pickles and like sweet and tangy sauces.

Here's the patty.  Probably not the healthiest meal, but soo good =).

 Cute Korean packaging.

 
Take a bite!



Finally, we went to Sports Complex station and met up with Stephen and Farhan.  There wasn't that many people there yet, but it's good thing that we went early because tickets were selling out pretty quickly.

 Waiting in line to buy tickets.

 They sell buckets of KFC outside the stadium. =P

 The most expensive tickets were sold out so we got the second most expensive ones.  12 000 won and we were by the first base.

 It took us a while to figure out which team we were supporting.  We decided we had to support the home team - Doosan Bears.  I can't go to my first baseball game without buying these whatever they're called LOL.  They were 2 for 2000 won.

 Getting exciiiiiittteeed!

So cute =P

 Finally inside =).



 Stretching.

We didn't know that this said so we asked these kids behind us.  It means Doosan is the best?  These kids had awesome English! I wish they were in my class =P

 Waiting...

And waiting...... 

Getting excited after hearing the other team's cheers and chants.

 They were all so synchronized.  It was mesmerizing.  We were almost watching this more than the game itself.

 Getting darker, I love when those lights turn on =).
 


I really didn't think I would have such an awesome time watching a baseball game, but the atmosphere was awesome.  Plus we won =D.  We very quickly became loyal Bears fans LOL.  After watching the game, we were starving and some people wanted to watch a soccer game in Itaewon, so we headed over for dinner.  Soccer again is one of those sports I don't really watch.  Not that I don't enjoy it, just..it's so long and sometimes it's a pretty slow game.  I pretty much only watch soccer when it's World Cup.

Streets of Itaewon.  Some people don't like it here, but I really didn't mind.

 We had burritos

 and quesadilla.  Exactly the something different we were looking for.

 Hollywood Grill where we watched soccer surrounded by a whole bunch of English men lol.  Watching soccer while listening to people scream at the screen with a British accent makes it that much more interesting.




All and all I had an amazing day.  I love how we could embrace Korea but also do things that make us feel like we're not in Korea at all.  It might be kind of weird that I had such a good time watching sports because I'm usually a very girly girl, but it was a different experience and the people made it exciting.  I know my boys back home would be really proud of us for spending a whole day watching sports ;).

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment