Thursday, March 15, 2012

White Day

Double post? =D

So March 14th was "White Day" in Korea and it's another "couple's day."  Seriously, to be a single Korean living in Korea..it must be extra depressing.  As far as I know there are 3 Valentine's Day-type days in Korea and White Day is one of them.

1. The first Korean Vday I've experienced was 빼빼로 Day (Pepero Day) on November 11th (weird for those who have been accustomed to celebrating Remembrance Day on that day eh?) The reason 빼빼로 Day is on November 11th is because 빼빼로 are sticks and resemble the number one.  I guess last year was a pretty big deal since the date was 11/11/11.   On 빼빼로 Day, couples, students and teachers exchange 빼빼로 (pretty much just Pocky Sticks with a lot of different flavours).  I remember seeing men run around with boxes of 빼빼로 and stuffed "animals" shaped like 빼빼로.

Displays that you would see on the days leading up to 빼빼로 Day.


2. Obviously Valentine's Day, February 14th.  
Apparently, in Korea, Valentine's Day is the day where girls buy loads and loads of chocolate for their boyfriends.  Ace was actually here for Valentine's Day and....I guess I didn't get that memo because I sure didn't buy him chocolates like I should have.  Now I feel like a horrible girlfriend LOL.


To give you an idea, my friend Stefan's girlfriend is Korean and this is what she got him for Valentine's Day this year...holyyyy mama!


3. White Day, March 14th.
This is the opposite of Valentine's Day, White Day is the day where men buy candies for their girlfriends (not fair...I want chocolate too!!)  One of my co-teachers told me that in the last couple of years, gfs have been demanding for more than candy.  Apparently designer bags are a hit (so guys..start saving up..jk).  I actually wasn't aware of the difference between Vday and Wday and I don't think Ace knew either.  

Regardless, Claudia, John and I figured since we didn't have a bf/gf in Korea that we'd just go out together.  We ended up going to an Italian restaurant called Vapiano right by Gangnam station.  If you have ever been to Marché downtown Toronto, Vapiano is pretty similar.  Only difference is Marché looks more like a market whereas Vapiano's kitchen area is more like any other food court but the restaurant itself was really pretty.   The food was really good too.

Some of the seating area in front of the "kitchen"

People waiting in line to order.

Scanning our card after ordering.

A mini herb garden.  I think these were basil.  Couples are actually sitting at a desk facing the basil.  Apparently you could just walk over and rip a piece off and eat it if you want =P. 

Our buzzer to tell us when our food is ready.

I forget the name but our tuna salad dish with eggs, tomatoes, red onions, cucumbers in a creamy but NOT KOREAN dressing.  Do you know how difficult that is to find?  Every Korean salad dressing is sweet and...Korean-ish LOL

Chicken linguine in a creamy pesto sauce.  

Italian sausage, jalepeños, bell peppers, red onions on a delicious thin crust. 


After dinner we went to a cute little cafe in Gangnam (I forget the name...sorry I'm useless LOL).

Yummy New York Cheesecake.

.........come on..this is awesome!



All in all, I'm glad to have experienced all these crazy Korean lovey dovey couple days but obviously you do not need to be in a relationship to enjoy them.  I almost think it sucks more to be in a relationship on any one of these three days if you live in Korea because I think expectations are set so high, you have no idea how many angry, disappointed and sad couples we've seen.

Happy Love Days people!

xoxo

Ace withdrawal..I miss you, babe!

No comments:

Post a Comment